Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Inn Above Onion Creek


I just spent the night at The Inn Above Onion Creek, a gorgeous and rustic bed and breakfast in Texas Hill Country. Even though the Inn is only about six or seven miles from where I live, I feel like we stayed in a completely different world. Our room, the Kyle Room, was so spacious that I felt like I could live there indefinitely. It had an enormous bathroom with a two-person tub, a large sitting room, a king-sized feather bed and an utterly breathtaking view of the hills and even the lights of Austin in the distance. I was able to smoke an extraordinary Padron 1926 Anniversary petit corona on the back porch and even said hello to a wary yet sanguine raccoon who just happened to pass by.


Included in the price of the room was an excellent three-course fixed menu dinner--we feasted on pan-seared salmon with lemon beurra blanc, mushroom risotta, sauteed greens and pancetta, a carmelized onion tart with herb chevre and balsamic reduction and a sweet blood orange panna cotta for dessert. For breakfast, we were treated to a vegetable-cheese fritatta, smoky Denmark sausage, yogurt with strawberry-rhubarb compote and a buttermilk biscuit that melted in my mouth. Plus, you could help yourself to fresh-baked cookies and other goodies all night long. (Yes, I did sneak into the lobby after midnight.)


I'd like to thank innkeeper Amy Dolan for an unexpectedly wonderful start to my weekend. She insured that everything was perfect during our entire visit! The Inn Above Onion Creek is lovated at 4444 W. FM 150 in Kyle, Texas. You can visit their website at www.innaboveonioncreek.com, or email for more information at info@innaboveonioncreek.com


1 comment: