Tuesday, April 26, 2011

American Vinyl by Jeanne Lorenz


My friend Margaret Craig, who's an artist and chair of the printmaking department at the Southwest School of Art and Craft in San Antonio, sent me this YouTube video of fellow artist Jeanne Lorenz and how she uses LPs in her work. I love her art, but I have to admit that I winced whenever she made comments such as "everyone's throwing their LPs in the garbage," "no one's listening to vinyl anymore" and "people are fetishizing vinyl."

Compare this to the work of Jon Ragel (of Boy Eats Drum Machine) who buys old records from used record stores, hand paints the covers and puts his own LPs inside--all for $15. Jon has a true love for vinyl as a playback medium, and that love shows in his art. I'm afraid that Lorenz's pieces may capture an ennui that really doesn't exist, at least in my world. At any rate, I wouldn't mind owning a couple of her pieces. Maybe I'll shoot her an email and tell her about the love (not fetishism) we all have for vinyl!

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYOJir0DddE

You can check out more of her work at her website: www.jeannelorenz.com

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of her work, but it actually hurts to hear her speak about records becoming part of the "trash stream." Very sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to everyone throwing LPs in the trash...give me a call first!

    ReplyDelete