Sunday, March 6, 2011

The next phase of the Blue Computer Solutions Project...


...is the DAC! I just received this DAC, the Wavelength Brick V3 24/96, to use with our music server project for Blue Computer Solutions. My brother Mat and I will do extended listening tests to determine how a high-quality digital-to-analog converter such as the Wavelength can deliver truly high-end sound in comparison to the stock external sound card I'm currently using. We'll report on our findings later in the week.

I'll be honest and admit that I have little or no experience with DACs. When they started appearing back in the '90s, it took me forever to learn what they did. I've always used one-box CD players throughout my life (albeit great ones such as the Naim CD3 and the Naim CDX2), so I never really had a need to explore what an outboard DAC could do.

When DACs started making a comeback a few years ago, I was a little confused until I realized these new machines weren't being used with CD players...they were being used with music servers and other computer audio sources. When I first unpacked the Wavelength, I immediately wanted to hook it up to my modest Denon CD/DVD player to see how it improved the sound. Unfortunately, they're incompatible since the Denon doesn't have a USB connection. D'oh! So I'll use it with the server and get back to you shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment