Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Vinyl Anachronist retires?


In the interest of full disclosure, I'm announcing that I've gone to the dark side. Yes, I've gone over to the business end of high-end audio by joining with Colleen Cardas and helping her with her new venture, Colleen Cardas Imports. We'll be the exclusive US distributors for the Italian audio company Unison Research, and we'll be representing both Unison and Opera Loudspeakers (which are also made by the Nasta family in Italy).

What this means for the Vinyl Anachronist is that I'm retiring from the business of reviewing most types of audio equipment. I'd be pretty sleazy if I told you that a certain amplifier, speaker or CD player (products that Unison carries) were nice, but not as nice as a Opera Grand Callas or a Unison Research S6 integrated. I'm not that kind of guy. I'm also not the kind of audio guy who bashes everything I don't carry.

That said, I'll quickly state that I chose to represent Unison, and not vice versa, because I'm a big fan of their gear. I'm proud to be a part of the Unison family. And I'll be sequestered in my home for the next few weeks listening to the gear you see in the pic above. And that's all I have to say about that.

Rather than letting the Vinyl Anachronist vanish into the ether, I will continue to cover the subjects appropriate for a vinyl anachronist--namely, vinyl. I will even continue to talk about turntables until I represent a line of analog rigs. (Unison does carry one turntable but we have to work on pricing for the US market first.) The minute people think that I'm too biased to continue writing about audio is the day I stop. But I don't want to do that because it's so much fun!

By the way, I still have a few reviews waiting in the wings, especially concerning the Heed gear I recently reviewed. Suffice it to say that these forthcoming reviews were written well in advance of my new status, and they will hopefully be unfettered by bias or other ulterior motives.

Anyway, I hope you will continue to read and support this blog, and if you have any questions feel free to contact me at marcphillips@unisonresearch.com.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Marc! I wish you and Colleen huge success.

    ReplyDelete